Mold accumulates in damp and poorly ventilated buildings. Inhaling mold fragments or spores can inflame the airways, causing nasal congestion, wheezing, chest tightness, coughing and throat irritation. Prolonged exposure to high levels of indoor dampness can reduce lung function and cause chronic health problems such as asthma. Those who already suffer from asthma and allergies are more likely to have more severe symptoms when exposed. If you find visible mold in your home, remove the mold and identify and address the cause of the excess moisture. Clean hard surfaces using soap and water or, if mold growth is persistent, a bleach solution could be used. You may need to throw away absorbent materials such as carpets, depending on the level of contamination. In case of extensive mold damage in Savannah, you may need to call on mold removal company in Savannah such as ServiceMaster of Savannah specializing in mold inspection services in Savannah and mold remediation services in Savannah
In addition to visible mold, other signs of damp problems may include mold odor, water stains, frequent condensation, peeling or cracked paint or wallpaper, damp basement. The consensus is any long-term exposure to mold spores can make you more susceptible to breathing or ingesting mold spores that can potentially lead to health-related issues.
This does not mean anyone coming into contact with mold will develop health issues. However, the elderly, children and individuals with pre-existing respiratory conditions such as allergies or a weakened immune system will be more at risk of suffering side-effects.
The most common symptoms include:
- Runny nose
- Headaches or migraines
- Sore throat
- Irritated eyes (red, bloodshot, itchy or watery)
- Skin rashes and itching
Although those with pre-existing allergies or asthma are at greater risks, mold can also cause health effects in otherwise healthy people. So measures to prevent or reduce mold exposure are important to everyone. If you believe mold is exacerbating your health problems, our recommendation would avoid touching or attempt to remove the problem yourself as this could potentially aggravate your symptoms. Instead, speak to your General Practitioner or seek professional medical help and contact the experts like ServiceMaster of Savannah to inspect your property.
Regarding the treatment of mold itself, then that is something we can definitely help you with. Our local team is on hand to give you helpful expert advice on what to do and can arrange for one of our surveyors to visit your property. To chat with one of our experts on what to do next, feel free to call your local branch on 912-244-6966.