Water damage is every homeowner’s nightmare and causes a large number of property losses annually. Not only can it lead to expensive structural issues, but it can also produce lingering and unpleasant odors. These smells, often a result of mold and mildew growth, can make your home feel less comfortable and even pose health risks.
Are there some unpleasant smells in your home that don’t seem to go away? Then this article is for you. Let’s get started!
Understanding the Source of the Odor
Before we identify solutions, it’s essential to understand where these odors come from. The musty smell usually indicates mold or mildew, which thrives in damp environments. When left untreated, water-damaged areas become breeding grounds for these fungi. Apart from the musty odor, mold and mildew can lead to various health issues, especially for those with respiratory problems, allergies, or weakened immune systems.
Bad odors could also mean that germs are building up on water-damaged items, such as carpets and furniture. Regardless of the source of these unpleasant smells, it’s important to take steps to remove them right away.
Steps to Get Rid of Odors After Water Damage
- Immediate Cleanup. As soon as you notice water damage, clean up any standing water. The faster you remove the water, the less chance mold and mildew have to grow.
- Ventilate the Area. Allow fresh air inside by opening windows and doors. Proper ventilation helps dry out the area faster and reduces the musty smell.
- Use Dehumidifiers. These machines extract moisture from the air, creating an environment where mold and mildew can’t thrive. Place them in affected areas until the humidity levels return to normal. For a comprehensive dehumidification in Savannah, GA, call our staff right away!
- Replace Damaged Materials. Porous materials, like carpets, insulation, and drywall, can hold moisture and might need to be replaced if they’re severely damaged.
- Clean and Disinfect. Use non-toxic cleaners to scrub away any mold or mildew you can see. Then, disinfect the area to kill any remaining spores. Remember always to wear gloves and a mask. For your safety, it’s best to leave this step to professional mold remediation specialists.
- Use Natural Odor Absorbers. Placing bowls of vinegar, baking soda, or activated charcoal around your home can help absorb the unpleasant odors.
Sometimes, the damage can be too extensive for DIY methods, or the musty smell might persist despite your best efforts. When this happens, it’s best to contact the experts.
Dealing with the aftermath of water damage in Savannah, GA can be overwhelming, especially when your home no longer feels or smells like the haven it once was. However, with the right approach and timely action, you can restore your home’s freshness.
Always remember: when in doubt, professionals like ServiceMaster of Savannah are just a call away, ready to return your home to its former glory!
Make an Appointment Today
Feeling overwhelmed with water damage odors? Don’t wait. Contact ServiceMaster of Savannah today and breathe easy again.
ServiceMaster of Savannah understands the intricacies of water damage restoration in Savannah, GA. With our team of experts, cutting-edge equipment, and 11 years of experience, we’ll not only rid your home of those pesky odors but also ensure that the root of the problem, be it mold or lingering moisture, is addressed. By choosing us, you’re opting for a thorough, efficient, and empathetic service that prioritizes the safety and comfort of your home.