Spring has arrived in Georgia a month ago, and while spring cleaning has long ended (or is still in order), you also need to take steps to protect your home from unexpected circumstances, such as water damage. Water damage is a serious business and can cost you a lot, so it’s good to take proactive steps to help prevent it.
We have compiled some tips you can browse to help prevent the occurrence of water damage on your home or building this spring!
- Inspect your gutters. Remove leaves, twigs, and other debris stuck in your gutters and downspouts to allow water to flow freely. If your gutters are clogged, water can seep into your walls. Also, ensure that your downspouts are properly positioned such that they drain and direct water a safe distance away from your home. If necessary, you may need to perform repairs on your gutters with an expert in preventative and corrective water damage issues, ServiceMaster of Savannah.
- Inspect your pipes. Winter can cause your pipes to burst. Make it a routine to check your pipes for cracks or leaks to prevent seepage from happening and damage your walls or foundation.
- Inspect your sump pumps. If you don’t have a sump pump or do not know what a sump pump is, it is equipment whose purpose is to remove collected water in a collecting basin, and is usually employed to prevent basement flooding. Check your sump pump to detect problems early on and prevent water damage from flooding.
- Inspect for cracks. Cracks on your walls or foundation are entry points for water. You can cover small cracks with appropriate material, such as a concrete patch. However, if the cracks are too big, you might want to hire a professional to do the job for you.
- Check your home for possible signs of water damage. Water damage usually manifests itself through signs such as drywall discoloration, mold growth, rotting of wood, and rusting of steel. It is imperative to tackle water damage early on to prevent it from getting even more serious.
At the first signs of water damage, take immediate action. When it comes to water damage restoration in Savannah, Georgia, ServiceMaster of Savannah performs 24-hour emergency services to respond to your urgent needs. We will take care of water damage for you and strive to deliver optimum results within an acceptable time frame. Contact us at 912-244-6966.