Hurricane season is about to arrive, and it is imperative to take on some safety measures to help prevent damages to your person and property.
We have compiled some tips for your protection during this time of the year.
- Create an emergency plan. Create a hurricane disaster plan beforehand so that you and your family will know what steps to take in case a hurricane strikes. It is recommended to set a specific place where you can meet up in case you are driven apart.
- Prepare your disaster kit. Before a disaster happens, ensure that you have your essentials ready. Prepare water, at least three days’ worth of food, medicine, and first aid kits, batteries, flashlights, and a whistle for calling help. Also, make sure that you have your cell phones and power banks charged for contact in case of emergencies. Be sure to have these supplies nearby during the actual hurricane. It is also advisable to have a battery-operated radio on hand to stay tuned to weather updates.
- Secure your home. Check your home’s elevation to have an idea if flooding may occur. You can also better protect your home through the hurricane-shutter installation. These are coverings utilized to prevent your windows from being damaged by objects that are blown away by the storm. Remove objects outside of your home that may be carried off by strong winds.
- Secure your important documents. During a hurricane, flooding may occur, which can damage your home and everything in it. Before a hurricane, make sure that you have kept your important documents sealed in waterproof containers.
- Do not use electrical equipment. Lightning strikes can do a lot of damage, so unplug your electrical appliances; better yet, turn off your main switch. Only use your phones in case of an emergency.
Preparedness is vital to help ensure your family’s safety during this hurricane season. If the inevitable happens and you need help, ServiceMaster of Savannah offers quality water damage restoration in Savannah, Georgia, and its surrounding areas. ServiceMaster of Savannah is a full-service emergency damage restoration company and would cater to your needs any hour of the day. We will take care of water extraction, dehumidification, and structural drying at the onset of water damage. Contact ServiceMaster of Savannah today at 912-244-6966.