As spring starts and summer approaches –and with all of the outdoor activities they bring– it is important to keep our safety in mind to avoid accidents.
An unexpected fire may occur, so we have compiled these fire safety tips for you to help you enjoy the sunshine with less worries!
- Practice care with cooking, whether indoors or outdoors. One of the leading causes of fire is unattended cooking. Always be mindful of your cooking equipment and place them away from combustible materials. Remove accumulated grease from time to time to prevent unexpected grease fires, and be sure to turn off the stove after use. Outdoors, keep your grill or fire pit away from bushes and shrubs. Have a bucket of sand ready for putting out the embers before you leave.
- Check your smoke detectors and fire extinguishers. Not having working smoke detectors or having malfunctioning ones can cause deaths in cases of fires breaking out. Perform a routine check of your smoke detectors and have them repaired or replaced if necessary. Also, keep a fire extinguisher nearby and be sure that you know how to operate it. It is recommended to have at least one fire extinguisher in every part of your home, especially in rooms where fire can most likely occur. Fire extinguishers have different classes for different purposes; it would be helpful if you’d look up for what type of fire a certain class is for.
- Check your escape plan. Study the layout of your home and prepare a possible escape plan that you can use if ever a fire happens. Discuss this with the members of your household and make sure that everyone understands the plan, especially your children. It would be better if you can rehearse this plan regularly to familiarize yourself with it.
- Be cautious with flammable materials. Flammable materials, such as gas and oil, should be stored in appropriate containers in a safe place, away from children’s reach. Properly dispose of flammables to prevent the sun from causing gas or vapor build up and create a fire hazard.
Be careful with cigarettes and candles. Open flames can be dangerous if left unattended. Place candles on steady surfaces and sturdy candle holders and away from curtains or drapes, and be sure to put them out before going to sleep. Smoking in bed is not advisable. Put cigarettes out in an ashtray to avoid accidental fire.
Keeping these tips in mind can help protect you and your children from fire-related hazards and injuries. If the inevitable happens and you find yourself having to deal with fire damage, ServiceMaster of Savannah is the dependable fire damage restoration company in Savannah, Georgia. Our emergency response team is available 24/7 to cater to your urgent needs. Contact us at 912-244-6966.