Most of us look forward to Halloween because of its spooky but festive atmosphere. Who doesn’t remember going out with friends and neighbors for trick-or-treating? It’s fun to dress up and unleash your imagination as you decorate your home, but unfortunately, this tradition we love very much is also not free from the threat of fire.
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) reports that every year from 2014 to 2018, about 770 home structure fires started from decorations, with more than a third caused by candles. Don’t let your property be a fire damage statistic! To ensure an incident-free and amazing Halloween, ServiceMaster of Savannah compiled these tips for you.
- To prevent fires from jack-o-lanterns, use LED candles or glow sticks instead of lit candles.
- Refrain from using long, trailing fabric when looking for costumes.
- Teach children to stay away from open flames, including jack-o-lanterns with lit candles in them.
- Use flame-resistant or flame-retardant decorations.
- Keep decorations a safe distance away from any heat source.
- Provide children with flashlights or glow sticks to carry for lighting or as part of their costumes.
- Don’t let decorations block exits and escape routes.
- Make sure all smoke alarms are working.
- Remove clutter from your yard to prevent injuries from slips and falls.
- Never leave cooking unattended! Stay in the kitchen and use a timer when cooking multiple meals.
- Don’t cook when you’re sleepy or have consumed alcohol.
- Keep children and pets away from the kitchen to prevent accidents.
Keep both fun and caution in mind! Combining the excitement of Halloween with the assurance of safety ensures a spooktacularly fun time for all. Happy Halloween!