The holidays have arrived once again and we know that the thing you’d love to see roasted would be turkey, not your house. As you get caught up in your usual preparations, bear in mind a few tips to keep yourself safe from fire damage this Yuletide season.
Smoke and Smoke Alarms.
Test if your smoke alarms are functioning and orient guests regarding your fire escape plan. Smokers should be told to smoke outside, and cigarette butts should be wet with water before disposal.
Live trees need to be constantly watered to prevent withering; dried up needles are fire hazards. Place them away from radiators and fireplaces where they would easily dry up and away from passageways and doorways where they could be toppled. When disposing of a tree, do not burn it in the fireplace to prevent causing a fire hazard from the excessive heat and rapid combustion. Artificial trees should have a “Fire Resistant” label before you decide to purchase them. Being fire-resistant does not imply that the tree wouldn’t catch fire; instead, it means that the tree is able to resist burning and could quickly be extinguished if a fire ever occurs. Do not use lights on metallic trees.
Purchase lights that have been tested by recognized testing laboratories, whether for use indoors or outdoors. Check your new and old sets of lights and dispose of those with damages such as worn wires, loose connections, or cracked sockets. To avoid overloading, do not plug more than three standard sets of lights in a single extension cord. When used outdoors, fasten lights to solid supports such as trees and walls to prevent wind damage. Always turn off lights before going to bed or leaving your house.
If you plan to use candles as decorations, make sure that you do not place them near Christmas trees and always use non-flammable candle holders. Keep lighted candles away from children’s reach and make sure to blow them off before going to bed. Use flame-retardant and non-combustible materials to trim a tree. Choose plastic or non-leaded metals for decorations, since leaded materials are dangerous when swallowed by children.
Keep children away from matches and lighters by storing these materials in a locked cabinet. If you want to dispose of fireplace embers, make sure that they are enclosed in a metal container and covered with water. Stay in the kitchen when cooking. In the event of grease fires, never throw water on the fire. Cover the pan with a lid and turn off the heat immediately. Until the pan has completely cooled, do not remove the lid.
Following these simple tips could save you money and help protect your family. However, if the inevitable happens and you’d require professional help for fire damage restoration, there are plenty of emergency service companies out there that would immediately provide you with the assistance you need. If you are a resident of Georgia and are looking for a fire damage restoration company in Savannah, ServiceMaster of Savannah will offer you dependable and high-quality fire damage restoration services any time of the year. Visit them at www.servicemastersavannah.com.