Hurricanes are among nature’s most powerful forces, damaging buildings, trees, cars and personal properties. Some damages can be so severe that they can rack up thousands of dollars in repairs. This is a great concern for business owners, having to repair both their homes and commercial facilities. The experts at ServiceMaster of Savannah have compiled tips to help business owners recover quickly after hurricane-related flood damage.
Restoring Your Business After a Flood
Before you perform any initial repairs, you should know that the dangers of flooding still loom even after the storm that has caused it has passed. You may miss potential electrical hazards, chemical leaks and other contaminants, which is why you should wait for an inspector to declare that the structure is safe to enter.
After the building has been declared safe for entry, follow these steps to start your business facility’s recovery.
Contact your insurance company
- Begin the claims process as soon as possible, as insurance claims can often be daunting, long, and frustrating.
- You can always provide more details later on, but the sooner you call your agent, the better.
Wear proper protective equipment
- As mentioned, floodwaters can bring dangerous items such as broken glass, metal fragments, and other contaminants. To lessen the possibility of injuries, wear safety gear including gloves, closed-toe shoes, and waders if possible.
- To prevent cuts and infections, cover any exposed skin.
Assess the damage
- It’s alright to feel overwhelmed when you survey the damages a recent storm or flooding event has caused your business.
- As you perform damage assessments, do not forget to document them by taking photos or videos for your insurance claim and company records later on.
Clean and save what you can
- Search the rubble for unharmed or repairable items and keep them in a safe place until the restoration project is over.
- If the debris is safe to handle, clean the rubble to begin minor repairs. Ask the help of a professional storm damage restoration company to take care of major damages.
Contact a professional
- Restoration companies such as ServiceMaster of Savannah have the equipment and methods to get your business back to normal as early as possible.
- Experts provide guidance throughout the restoration process and have years of experience dealing with flood or storm damage.
Contact Us for Storm Damage Restoration in Savannah, Georgia
Don't know what to do next? We do.
Our technicians are licensed, insured, and fully bonded to restore your property to pre-loss condition using state-of-the-art equipment, industry-grade cleaning solutions, and the latest practices and methods. Contact us today.