Water damage is one of the homeowner’s nightmares. Aside from the visible marks and stains that can discolor your drywall, floor, and ceiling, water damage also affects your home’s structural integrity. Your home and property might be in danger of being damaged by flood and rain this hurricane season. Don’t let this happen!
Here are some steps that you can take to prevent water damage from occurring.
- Be on the lookout for leaks. We get so busy at times that we fail to notice the signs of potential water damage. Small leaks can be sneaky, and later on, you might be surprised to discover that a part of your wall or roof has already been waterlogged. You can also install leak detection equipment.
- Clean your drainage. Water needs to flow unobstructed so that it won’t overflow or seep through walls, ceilings, or floors. Clear your gutters and downspouts of accumulated debris such as dirt, leaves, and broken twigs. Also, clean your canals and drainage to avoid flooding.
- Know the location of your water valve. Knowing where to find your main water valve is important for emergency cases, so you can immediately shut off the water source. To prevent leaking, it is a must to shut it off when you’re going away for a long period of time.
- Check your water bill from time to time. Have your past water bills been unnecessarily high even though you’re using less water? There might be leaks in your pipes without your knowledge! Promptly fix these leaks to prevent further damage and lessen your expenses.
- Build a flood barricade. Floodwaters can enter your home and cause serious water damage and even property loss. You can put up a floodwall or pile sandbags around your house to prevent water entry.
If you ever need help with any form of water damage, it is best to contact a professional water damage restoration company to perform the job for you. At ServiceMaster of Savannah, we have the right tools and proper equipment to address the problem. Our team is experienced, hardworking, and has been providing dependable and high-quality water damage restoration services in Savannah, Georgia, and its surrounding areas for over 40 years. For water damage services in Savannah, contact us at 912-244-6966.